Instructions for your T-shirt transfer!
SAFETY FIRST: Children must be under adult supervision while applying transfers, and we recommend that the adult operates the iron.
You will need:
- An iron (not a travel iron).
- A flat, hard, heatproof surface to iron on — like an ironing board!
- A white or light coloured t-shirt. If it is new, it will need to be washed and ironed before you start.
What to do
- Cut out the transfer, as close to the edge of the cloud as you can.
- Choose where you want the transfer to go, and stretch out the fabric without creases (pre-ironed) on a solid heatproof surface.
- Place the transfer with the image side facing down on to the fabric and the iron symbols facing you.
- Pre-heat your iron to maximum temperature.
- Iron gently, using an even pressure and ensuring that the entire surface is uniformly hot. Don't forget the edges! It's normal for the transfer film to smell slightly while you do this, so don't worry.
- The transfer is done when most of the green part of the backing paper is turning the same brown colour as the picture of the iron. Wait until it has cooled down, then gently peel off the backing sheet.
Hot tip: If you peel away the backing sheet while it is still slightly warm, you will get a matt finish. The longer you leave it to cool, the glossier the finished picture will be.
Enjoy wearing your t-shirt!
- Do not wash your t-shirt for 24 hours after applying the transfer.
- After that, you can machine wash it inside out at 40 degrees maximum.
- Do not tumble dry, bleach or dry clean.
- Iron on the reverse side, or protect the transfer with baking paper while you iron it.
Click here for printable instructions
I'm a Little Birds Storyteller! What now?
Click here to start telling us stories at FlapYourFeathers.com!
Lost your password or need a new code?
Click here to send us your name, email address, school and teacher's name for a new one!
Want to see us again?
Click here to book tickets for A Bird In Your Ear and see our theatre show! with lights, with music, with puppets, with crazy sets, and people like us sharing your stories with as many people as we can!